Spaghetti Pie (with Broccoli & Carrots)
Prep: 20 min. Total: 45 min. Yield: 8-10 Servings
3 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti or angel hair pasta
1/2 lb lean ground turkey or sirloin
1/2 Cup Broccoli Puree
1/4 Cup Carrot Puree
1 Large Egg White
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan
1/4 Tsp Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
2 Cups Bottled Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Low fat (1%) Cottage Cheese
1 Cup Shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta, & cook to al dente (about 10mins). Drain in colander.
3. In small bowl, mix ground meat with the broccoli puree, egg white, parmesan, & garlic. Form mixture into 1/2 inch balls.
4. In large bowl, stir the cooked pasta, tomato sauce, cottage cheese, carrot puree, & salt/pepper. Spoon mixture into pie plate & smooth top. Scatter meatballs on top & sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, until the center is firm & cheese is bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
BBQ Chicken Kabobs
Prep: 10 min. Broil: 6 min. Yield: 4 Servings
Fun and Easy Chicken – Make it a family affair!
1 Tbs. Brown Sugar
8 Chicken Tenders (1 Lb.)
1 Tsp. Cider Vinegar
8 Wood Skewers Presoaked
1/2 Tsp. Worcestershire
1/2 Cup Ketchup
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat broiler. Cover broiler pan with foil; coat with cooking spray. Thread chicken onto presoaked skewers.
2. Mix ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, & Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. Season chicken with salt & pepper, & brush with sauce.
3. Place in pan & broil 6 inches from heat for 3 minutes. Turn & brush with remaining sauce. Cook an additional 3 minutes.
How Kids Can Help: Mix ingredients for the sauce.
Per Serving: (2 Kabobs) 166 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated), 490 mg sodium, 63 mg cholesterol
Sweet Slumber Stimulator
· 1-2 cinnamon sticks
· 2 c. water
· 1 c. warm low fat milk
· Honey to Taste
In pan, add cinnamon sticks and water. Bring to a boil and steep about 15 minutes. Add warm milk and honey. Stir until cooled to drink.
This is sure to help your little one sleep while building strong bones!
Carrot Cake Muffins
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
4 tbsp. trans-fat-free margarine spread
1 c. pureed carrot
1/2 c. pureed cauliflower
1 large egg
2 tbsp. frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 c. dried apricots, chopped
1/4 c. pitted prunes, chopped
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. all-spice
Preheat oven to 350. Mix sugar and margarine in large bowl. Stir in purees, egg, OJ and vanilla, then apricots and prunes. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and all-spice. Don’t over-mix-lumps are okay. Pour batter into lined muffin tins, and cook for 12-15 minutes.
Grilled Caramel Apples
1/2 cup caramel
Heat gas or charcoal grill. Fold four 18×12-inch pieces heavy-duty foil crosswise in half; spray with cooking spray. Cut apples in half; remove cores. Cut each half into 4 wedges.
Place 4 apple wedges in center of each piece of foil. Drizzle 2 tablespoons caramel topping over apple wedges on each piece of foil. Wrap foil securely around apples. Place foils packets on grill.
Cover grill and cook for 8-9 minutes. Serve immediately!